As part of the month of favorites, the six degrees of separation meme has been expanded so we can pick one of our faves and see where it takes us. Since The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty is one of my favorite books of the year, I thought I’d use it.
1. The whimsical nature of the prose and story really reminded me of Diana Wynne Jones–more specifically Witch Week.
2. One of the repeating lines in Witch Week is “It hurts to be burned,” which, of course, is talking about fire, so that can only lead to one book, Invisible by Pete Hautman.
3. Since Invisible deals with a really close friendship gone wrong, that reminds me of Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King and the relationship between Charlie and Vera (which also has something to do with fire!).
4. Anyway, Vera’s dad is in AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) just like Hannah’s dad in The Museum of Intangible Things by Wendy Wunder.
5. More importantly, though, Hannah and her best friend Zoe go on a road trip! I love road trips. Of course, they are in search of that intangible something just like Heidi in So B. It by Sara Weeks.
6. Heidi’s something turns out to be a family secret just like what drives Liane Moriarty’s book, The Husband’s Secret. Did you know Jaclyn Moriarty has a sister? She does! And they’re both brilliant.
Okay, that was a lot of fun. I can’t wait to read everyone else’s!