This week, I finished:
- Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (comic strip collection, adult) — It’s a collection of comics from her website, so exactly as expected
- How to Write a Novel by Melanie Sumner (adult) — Meh. I would’ve liked it more if the relationships and characters were a little more developed.
- Jem and the Holograms: Showtime by Kelly Thompson, illustrated by Sophie Campbell (YA, graphic novel) — Disappointing characterization with unnecessarily busy panels.
- Romeo & Juliet adapted by Gareth Hinds (YA, graphic novel) — Great adaptation with a really sympathetic Romeo.
- “Sonny’s Blues” by James Baldwin (adult, short story) — Amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing. I just really loved this in ways I can’t explain. The ending burned a hole in my heart, and I sincerely feel like everybody should read it.
Last week, I posted:
[wrap-up-posts week=”51″ year=”2015″ listtype=”ul”]
I just started All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr last night, which is a pretty big deal in terms of popularity. We’ll see how it goes.
Oh, and I started Humans of New York: Stories by Brandon Stanton, and it is pretty delightful so far.