It’s time for A Month of Faves, one of my favorite blogging events! I don’t know about you, but I neeeeeeed some cheer and joy in my life right now. I’m so so happy that Tanya, Andi, and Tamara are hosting this again. SO MUCH YAY.
Today’s topic is “These Are a Few of My Favorite Things,” and I don’t think I’ve ever talked about my favorite Christmas songs, so that’s what I decided to do today. CHRISTMAS MUSIC MAKES ME HAPPY. Even the sad songs. So, without further ado, I present you with some of my favorite Christmas songs. Links go to YouTube vids.
1. “Do You Hear What I Hear” by Vanessa Williams — I love this song so much. I had it as my ring tone one year. My favorite part is the breakdown with the choir. BEST VERSION. I will hear no arguments about this.
2. “Greatest Time of Year” by Aly & AJ — This song is pure joy and perfectly captures how I feel about the season.
3. “Who Would Imagine a King” by Whitney Houston — This is not even my favorite song from The Preacher’s Wife (that honor goes to “I Believe in You and Me“), but it is a close second. Also, I much prefer the album version to the clip I’m using. However, I couldn’t resist putting video of Whitney actually singing it here because, well, Whitney.
4. “Jesus, Oh What a Wonderful Child” by Mariah Carey — Probably not the Mariah Carey song you were expecting, I’m guessing. While I do like “All I Want for Christmas Is You” a whole lot, this song brings me so much joy. Once again, that gospel breakdown at the end is everything. It is pretty much 100% impossible for me not to sing and bop along to this song.
5. “Christmas Won’t Be the Same This Year” by The Jackson 5 — Okay, technically, Christmas isn’t Christmas for me without listening to this whole album start to finish. I love the whole thing from top to bottom and start to finish. I mean, EVERY SINGLE SONG. However, this song has a special place in my heart because the older I get, the funnier I find it. Which is kind of mean, I know. But come on. The boys pointing out how Jermaine is crying and then his vocals about how he hope his girlfriend who dumped him is miserable without him on Christmas are just so earnest and delightful. What can I say? I love it.
6. “What Do the Lonely Do at Christmas?” by The Emotions — Unlike The Jackson 5 song, I find this song genuinely heartbreaking. It’s so beautiful and heartfelt, though. The Emotions are pretty great in general, but this song. Man. It gets me.
4 thoughts on “These Are a Few of My Favorite Christmas Songs”
Would you believe I’ve never heard the last song, ever? I’m not much for Christmas music, but seems like just once I would have heard it. The other songs I’m familiar with so I guess that’s a good thing. Cool list.
I don’t think it gets much airplay–probably because of all the sadness.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Oh, so many excellent choices! “Do You Hear What I Hear” is one of my favorite Christmas songs altogether. I like all the melancholy ones best.