1. I already posted this on Twitter and Facebook, so I’m also posting here. But a few years ago, I did a 32 things to do before I turn 33 project, and I’m looking to do something similar for my 40th birthday. I am looking for suggestions of cool things to do by my 40th birthday or before my 40th year is up (this is still very much in the conception stage, obvs.)
I did wind up completing quite a few things on my 32 list, so I need to rebuild. Here are some things I’m already planning to do/considering doing:
- Go see Hamilton
- Go to Harry Potter world
- Do one of those paint class things
- Take a knife skills class
- ride in a hot air balloon
- go to a taping of Price Is Right
- surfing lessons
- go to Hawaii
- finish reading the Bible
- post a YouTube video
- indoor skydiving
NOTE: I am not jumping off a bridge or out of a plane, so please do not suggest bungee jumping or skydiving. They are both an automatic no. Anything else will be seriously considered! So please post some suggestions in the comments.
I live in the L.A. area if that has any impact on what you might suggest.
Continue reading “Make some decisions for me! Also: books & bookish events”
Which is why, after saying I was back to my regular blogging schedule I…didn’t post anything last week. And this post is a day late. Oops? NO EXCUSE, amirite? Especially since my students had their second blog posts due then. Oh well. I’m here now and that’s all that matters. (Also, to be fair, I did post twice that other week.)
So, a lot has happened since my last post:
1. I actually finished two books!
A Whole New World by Liz Braswell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Well, the darkest timeline is SUPER dark, which I wasn’t really prepared for.
The best part of this book is the development of the relationships of the characters we know in the movie, especially connecting Cassiem (the first thief Jafar takes to the Cave of Wonders) to Aladdin (even if it does completely blow the canon from the third movie. And yes that is an actual thought I had. I know the straight-to-video sequels suck, but are they not Disney canon? Ahem. I digress.)
All in all, a fairly fast read. I would recommend it to any fan of the movie just because it’s a Disney sanctioned AU fanfic, and it’s an interesting take on the story.
View all my reviews
Continue reading “Yeah, so last week got away from me…”
Since my last check-in, I attempted five of the books on my list and finished two. So that means I have completed four of the twenty-four books on my list but can cross off seven since, you know, I gave the others a fair shot.
As a reminder, these are the books on my list:
Continue reading “#MustReadin2017 Fall Check-In”
School started last week, and my students are blogging this semester. You know what that means! Back to a regular posting schedule. So let’s do this.
1. Since I am in what I’m going to call the hazing period at my new job, my earlier class starts at 7 a.m. on Monday/Wednesday and 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday/Thursday. This is…not ideal to say the last. I am a night owl, so acclimating to this new schedule is something that’s going to take some time. For now, I’m forcing myself to go to bed early, so I can figure out what will work. This has so far included getting up early on today (my day off) as well.
I’d say it’s going pretty well considering I went to bed too early so woke up an hour before my alarm went off, and I just woke up from a nap about 20 minutes ago. I am making this deep sacrifice because I was absolutely horrendous (okay, crabbier than I wanted to be) to my class on Wednesday because I was so exhausted, and I do not want to be that person. It’s a challenge.
Continue reading “And now…back to our regularly scheduled programming”