So I’m sitting in this training today, and it is interesting and important but also kind of boring because I hate meetings where we sit and listen to lectures, so I need to have something else to do (this is where my best friend says, “mmhmm and you DON’T have ADHD?”). Hence, I will make a list of random things that occur to me during this session. It’s all day. (Did I mention it’s all day?)
For background, the law in California is changing for student completion of transfer-level (aka 101) English, so the conference is all about acceleration to get students who would typically place below transfer to complete transfer-level courses within in one academic year.
1. We just found out that the community college in Baltimore County caps their comp classes at 20, and we all just died a little bit inside.
2. Also, shout-out to my alma mater, University of Maryland Baltimore County.
3. I was wide awake when I came in this room, btw. Now I just want a nap.
4. My coworker who definitely has ADHD is doing a better job paying attention and taking notes than I am. (I know because I am looking at his notes.)
5. New presenter, and she was sitting at our table!
6. The class max at her school is 35 students. Everyone let out a collective “oof.”
7. Happy to hear that at her school part-time faculty get healthcare! And they have been redesigning their course structures to ensure they can keep their benefits.
8. 0% of the black students at her school placed into transfer-level English before the school moved to an acceleration model. That means ALL of them were placed in basic skills (previously known as a remedial).
9. My boss just popped up in the back of the room. So I waved to her.
10. New presenter! I got distracted trying to organize my daughter’s gift (her birthday is tomorrow), so I kind of zoned out for a bit. The speaker is talking about placement measures. I am (obviously) not that interested in this part.
11. I popped a piece of hard candy in my mouth, and my coworker very nicely asked me if I could have it, and since there’s no ingredient list, I spit it out. She apologized, but I pointed out that she was right, so…you know.
12. They keep talking about “affective domain” and “affective” issues, so now I’m going to have to look those terms up. I think I know what they mean based on context clues, but I need to know for sure.
13. It would be nice if they gave us a break before lunch. Not just so I can pee, but also maybe grab a snack (because of course I left my snack).
14. Okay, we’re about to have team time, which means we can take a break, FINALLY.
15. Back from lunch. I could eat almost everything there. Whew.
16. Lobby music on point. “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera was playing the first time I went to the bathroom, “If You Had My Love” by Jennifer Lopez the second.
17. Just tried to chew a piece of gum and it gave me a headache.
18. I’m a good teacher, and I like being around good teachers. But I also sometimes get really intimidated by really good teachers.
And that’s it for today. Tomorrow should be more workshops that have less lecturing. We’ll see.