Panel discussion with people from the chancellor’s office to talk policy, so the running commentary is back.
1. Right after the introductions of the panel members, the woman at my table said, incredulously, “They’re all white.”
Her companion: “Yeah that’s disappointing.”
2. The contract grading session was good, btw. I learned a lot about different ways to implement contract grading, especially ways I can ease into it.
3. The wifi in this building sucks, btw. Also, I am super disappointed that the conference organizers didn’t secure a/the wifi password for us. Do they not know it’s 2018?
4. God doesn’t want me to use the internet. Not even my hotspot is keeping it alive in here.
5. Fixed it. Whew.
6. I spoke too soon. I just want to catch up on grading. 😭
Okay, that panel ended with me not doing very much grading. Then came the breakout sessions. I went to one on rhetorical analysis (which I love), and it was super interesting and fun because we did a group analysis of Beyoncé’s “Formation” video. I’ll be honest: the hype kept me from appreciating it at the time. It’s pretty brilliant. And I actually think I like the song now.
Then we had after session debriefings where I learned that there was a speaker during the morning that I missed because I didn’t look at the overview schedule and just the daily one. I am blaming poor document design even though I was the only person from our group who missed it. Oh well.
Tomorrow is the last day of the conference, and I reviewed the actual schedule so I won’t miss the keynote speaker in the morning.