Once again, I’ll be participating in Carrie’s Must Read community.
Will this be the year I finally read The Mistress of Spices??? I hope so because it’s the book that’s been on my TBR the longest. (Proof: I added it to my Goodreads want to read in 2009. It is at the top of that list if I sort by date added. So.)
Here’s the official list:
1. Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello (I *think* I read this in college. Either way, I’m ready for a good farce/metanarrative.)
2. Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
I seriously only want to read this because of Sister Act 2.
If it could inspire a young Lauryn Hill (okay, her character’s name is Rita, FINE) to stand up to her mother and participate in the statewide choral championship, WELL.
3. The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (see above)
4. Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
5. The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin (the only other repeat book!)
6. Ghost by Jason Reynolds
7. Archie, Vol. 2 by Mark Waid
8. Archie, Vol. 3 by Mark Waid
I have strong feelings about not watching Riverdale but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy an updated Archie, dangit. Also, did you hear about the Katy Keene pilot? I have a lot of feelings already.
9. The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin (might as well finish the whole series, amirite?)
10. Far from the Tree by Robin Benway
11. What I Leave Behind by Alison McGhee
12. Breakout by Kate Messner
13. Finding Yvonne by Brandy Colbert
14. Sadie by Courtney Summers
15. Becoming by Michelle Obama (this feels like a gimme because my book club has already picked it for the February book, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll read it, so I guess it still sticks)
This year’s list is a lot shorter than last year’s and the year before, so I am learning haha. (Also, many of these were chosen based on other people’s Must Read lists from last year!) Let’s see if percentage read remains the same because maybe it has nothing to do with how many books I put on the list and more to do with some other arbitrary thing like my brain shutting down during fall semester and refusing. We shall see!
6 thoughts on “#MustReadin2019”
Sadie is so amazing !! I hope you enjoy it a lot once you read it 💕
I’ve heard so many good things from so many people. I can’t wait.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I admire your gumption and spunk about deciding what to read and then doing it. I’m a slug. I’m arbitrary. I do, however, have Becoming in my TBR stack and am saving it for February, the longest shortest month I know of. I’ll need it then.
Oh, I’m totally arbitrary, too, unless I’m *looking* for something to read–then I usually refer back to this list.
LikeLiked by 1 person