Well, that title is a mouthful, huh?
I was texting with a friend of mine today and asked her what her favorite color is. I felt like, I said, I didn’t know what hers was, but I felt it was something I should know. That led to a long back and forth about favorite colors and how we both had multiple faves, but also had quite a few conditions on our feelings on colors. Some examples:
- She has a favorite genre of colors (jewel tones)
- There’s only one shade of red she likes but the rest make her mad
- Green is fine–depending on how it’s used
Then I had to chime in with my colors and how there are colors I like in general, colors I like in my home, and colors I wear even if I don’t like them. More specifically:
- There’s a light shade of purple I love, but it looks horrible on me so doesn’t love me back
- I look awesome in red, which I don’t love but wear anyway because it clearly loves me
- I also look great in orange (see red above)
- Teal is great all around
- I love black and white prints that are more white than black
- I also love gray and gray/white prints but don’t wear them so you’ll find those plus the aforementioned shade of purple in my home (also teal and black/white prints!)
So what did we learn? There are colors we like to look at and wish we could wear, colors we wear but don’t particularly care for, and colors in our homes because we either can’t wear them or we can wear them and just really like them.
This would be a good time to share a picture of something in my home, so here’s a gray and white ottoman I have along with a teal TV stand. The Rokumote cover is turquoise and the tray is gray with different shades of blue (so, you know, same energy).
I also have these black and white (more white than black!) slipcovers on my bar stools.
4 thoughts on “What We Talk about When We Talk about Favorite Colors”
I love colour, and your home looks like one I would be very comfortable in. Quite vibrant with lots of interesting colour and patterns!
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person
I like that TV stand. It’s a color I always lean toward, whether to wear or to see in my home. Also love, love the snazzy socks. My feet and ankles are jealous.
I love this post. YES! I love yellow but whenever I try to buy anything in the yellow family, my mother tells me it looks gross on me so I put it back. (I recently bought a grey sweater that has a mustard stripe on the sleeves and I just thought TAKE THAT MOM when I bought it.) Turquoise and teal are my favorite colors for house and furniture, especially combined with red and robin’s egg blue or pinks and corals. I love bright yellow for a floor or a fence or a door. I like to wear pinks and corals and blues and a lot of patterns that sort of clash but are also kind of amazing. My son brags that EVERY color looks good on him, and he’s right. Hmmm. I think I have to steal this idea for a slice this month.