2. Praise the TV gods: The Good Place has been renewed for season three.
3. I didn’t finish any books this past week, so I’m still making my way through these two:
Pictured: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and Warcross by Marie Lu
4. I wore jeans to work today (for this first time all semester!), which may have made me a touch too relaxed with my students. We talked about gangsta rap (which I just call “rap,” I told them), I told suggested one student to stop studying something he wasn’t interested in, and I am pretty sure there was something about food in there. Oh, right. The one student said the granola bar he ate for breakfast didn’t count as food because he ate it in two bites. “That’s not even a snack,” he said. “That’s a taste.”
5. I am supposed to be packing for my trip up to the Bay Area for Thanksgiving, but instead I have officially started powering down. I guess it’s a good thing I’m not having office hours tomorrow.
6. Related to that last point, I have been grading so slowly these past few days. I should be speeding through these grammar reviews, and instead I have graded one set per day. Do you know the semester is almost over? And there are other things to grade? This does not bode well is what I’m saying.
7. The Jeopardy! tournament of champions just ended, and I am pleased by the winner. In fact, I actually liked all of the contestants this go ’round, and I don’t think that has ever happened before.
8. I finally put up my tree. It is pre-lit, so the decorating is already halfway done. Perhaps I shall add the ornaments before the weekend is out?
9. The coolest thing about my apartment is that I have a fireplace, which means I can actually hang stockings over it. First time ever! Too bad I won’t be here for Christmas. 🙃 But still!
I have very strong feelings about Jeopardy! (I am not going to use the exclamation point going forward because it makes me seem more excited/upset than I am. But I do want to acknowledge the exclamation point exists and is part of the actual title for the show. Moving on.)
Most of them are, of course, related to Alex Trebek.
He is so smug! And it is exasperating. Newsflash, Alex: you only know all of the answers because they’re RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.
I find him the most insufferable when he is shocked the contestants actually know the answers, however. I mean, these people were chosen for knowing random stuff nobody else knows or cares about. (Except me. I care. I learn things when I watch Jeopardy.)
My friend said her grandmother wrote in to complain about Alex being condescending toward female contestants, and I have noticed that he can be particularly patronizing to young, pretty women. He’ll say things like, “That’s right, young lady!” Which…I don’t think I’ve ever heard him say that to a young, male contestant. (I’m talking about during the regular shows, not the kids, teen, or college tournaments.)
Another friend sent me the link to this vid of Alex laughing at a contestant just to make sure I knew how smug he really is/can be:
Anyway, I also get frustrated with the contestants, especially the ones who blow a runaway with stupid wagering. Alex actually had to give a “how not to bid dumb” a couple of weeks ago.
Yesterday's incredible win by $1 prompted Alex to explain why your wager is so important when playing the game:https://t.co/MxU9UIQqrK
Unfortunately, teachers seem to be the WORST at this since I see the most flagrant and terrible wagering during the Teachers Tournament. I mean, it is awful.
I also get 100% upset when the contestants don’t know stuff that I do. So I guess I am like Alex in that regard.
To end this on a positive note, I do really enjoy Jeopardy 99% of the time. I don’t know enough to ever be on it, but I know enough to keep up with most of the categories. I also used to have a tag on my LJ “stuff Jeopardy teaches me” because I do learn things when I watch, and that’s probably my favorite part of the show. (It is my favorite part of the show.) I am a nerd. What can I say?
For the A to Z challenge, I’m blogging about fannish pursuits (aka things I’m a fan of or have strong feelings about). Tune in tomorrow to see what I picked for K!